{U of T Blog } spacer
spacer
spacer Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
powered by blogger

About Me

I'm a 20 year-old computer science and math student at the University of Toronto. I was born in Toronto, and I live in Toronto. Where I'll die remains to be seen.

Sites I Like

The Volokh Conspiracy
InstaPundit
Matt Yglesias
LGF
Eschaton
USS Clueless
OxBlog
Calpundit
MEMRI
Consumer Freedom.com

Contact Me

uoftblog -at- hotmail.com

My Archives

Search My Site
PicoSearch


{Monday, January 13, 2003}

 

Welcome!

Welcome all to our new blog, based right here at the University of Toronto, in Ontario, Canada. Before we begin our formal postings, we thought that a bit about ourselves might be interesting. I (Dan) was born and raised in Toronto (though where I'll die is still a mystery to me...) I'm currently in my third year of an Hon. B.Sc. in computer science and math here at the U of T, and I'll probably be doing a Ph.D. in CS once I'm done. Peter was born and raised in Calgary, but came to Toronto for the fun and exciting Engineering Science program (which basically means that Peter has agreed to take courses that are far too hard to actually be taken...) To summarize: we're both really big geeks.

Aside from our more technical interests, we are both captivated by the intricacies of global politics. That's why this blog is basically going to be a mouthpiece for our half-assed observations and analyses. As to not betray our geek roots, however, there will also be the occassional post about recent science, with an emphasis on topics that somehow relate to the wonderful world of computers. That should appease the tech-gods.

One last feature we will have (which will always be the last post before bed) is the quotes of the day. One quote will be a quote from history, that we happen to like. The other will be a quote from the past day that stuck out for one reason or another. Since I'm about to go to bed, here are the very first U of T Blog quotes of the day:

Historic: "In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite." - Paul Dirac

Today: "The claim that we admitted developing nuclear weapons is an invention fabricated by the U.S. with sinister intentions." -Rodong Sinmun, one of the DPRK's state newspapers.
posted by Dan 2:16 AM  


spacer